We continue to believe that GIGATTAATTGIG as we watch the journey of these two men:
I shared Rich's story in our 2010 CHALLENGE 15 post - the post previous to this one. Here are Rich and his wife, Cindy, in an interview not long after his amazing double hand transplant in August.
In the past three weeks, 2 main arteries that supply the blood to the right hand were not supplying the necessary blood flow in that hand and it had started to look pretty bad. But then, miraculously, Rich's body developed a sub-artery that began to supply the blood to the hand. Then, smaller capillaries developed and have grown wider bringing more blood into the hand. Doctors have been amazed and have told Rich and Cindy that what is happening is "unprecedented". We continue to pray for complete healing for Rich AND that all may know that this healing comes from our Almighty God answering the prayers of His people!
Yesterday, Rich went back into surgery on his transplanted hands. Doctors planned to do a deep tissue skin graft to his forearm, taking tissue from Rich's stomach, if the infection was completely gone from the forearm. Rich came out of surgery and is doing well. According to family, Rich's surgery yesterday was a success. They did an abridement and pinned fingers on R hand to prevent distortion. Doctor said there is no reason his right hand didn't die from the 2 clogged arteries. We remain so hopeful that Rich will have complete use of two transplanted hands! Rich's mother wrote this morning, "May God be glorified in every circumstance no matter what happens!" GIGATTAATTGIG.
Here is Rich before and after the TODAY SHOW on September 25 - with his doctor.
Chip is a friend who I shared a lot about in the previous post. Chip was in a coma for 10 days in September after suffering a heat stroke at a Dallas Cowboys/Chicago Bears game. His body temperature rose to 107.
Thousands have kept a prayer vigil for Chip. It has been a faith building experience beyond anything many involved have ever experienced. Here are some wonderful things that have happened in the last week. I share them via some of Chip's wife, Lisa's, status updates on FB:
- 9/29 - 11:45 a.m. - "Chip is awake!... Everyone will know this miracle is from You, LORD!"
- 9/29 - 7:45 p.m. - "I told Chip he gave me my bday present a week early, by waking up today. He smiled at me. Ah Lord...thank u."
- 9/29 - 7:47 p.m. - "Continue to pray for bloodclots in his lungs and the removal of the vent tube."
- 9/30 - 1:37 p.m. - "I feel very hopeful about Chip-his cognitive ability seems great. Now we just need his lungs to get stronger so we can get the tube out."
- 9/30 - 1:42 p.m.: "Chip's mom asked him whose anniv was Dec, he pointed to himself."
- 9/30 - 11:43 p.m. - "Chip cried 7 times today. Not in pain, not a reaction to meds... Just extremely humbled and overwhelmed with the outpouring of love. Thank you for loving us. Can't wait for you all to get one of those great big "Chip hugs".
- 10/1 - 11:00 p.m. - "Chip and I had a nice quiet, restful day together. I read the Word several times to him (Isaiah, again). And we listened over and over to my hymn CD. (Chip sings back-up on it). He "sings" along with it, practicing his breathing. Sweet quiet moments together. Thank you Lord. Forever, forever grateful..."
- 10/2 - 1:38 p.m. - "The tube is coming out!! no more vent. Thank you Lord!"
- 10/2 - 8:32 p.m. - "Thank you for praying for my husband, Chip. Forever grateful."
- 10/3 - 3:08 p.m. - "Chip is quite chatty today. He just called me 'Russell'. Yep, Chip is Chip!"
- 10/3 - 8:19 p.m. - "Chip and I had dinner together tonight. So sweet. Tomorrow...rehab begins. :)"
- 10/4 - last night - "Chip, Hope, and I had dinner tonight together. Oh, so sweet. Thank you Lord.
- SCRIPTURE POSTED BY LISA LAST NIGHT: "To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal? Some people pour out their silver and gold and hire a craftsman to make a god from it. Then they bow down and worship it! They carry it around on their shoulders, and when they set it down, it stays there. It can’t even move! And when someone prays to it, there is no answer.... It can’t rescue anyone from trouble...I am God, and there is no one else like Me." Isaiah 46:5-8
There are video links in the previous post that will remind you that GIGATTAATTGIG!