Sunday, July 12, 2009

2009: JULY 12 TO JULY 25 - THE WHITE FORMAL DRESS

.
Guest author: Dr. Steve Sikes
.
Patti and I are new to the Northeast... South Jersey... but we are not new to understanding the goodness of God and/or seeing how He works in and through His people. The following is one of my favorite stories of how much God is involved in our simple, everyday lives:
.
My Dad and Mom worked in children’s homes for 36 years; 18 of those years, Dad was the Superintendent of Westview Boys’ Home outside of Hollis, Oklahoma. Westview was completely supported by the generous donations of christians. Clothes, food and other items were given to the Home on a regular basis to help take care of the 65 boys.

.
My family grew up on a cotton farm a mile from the Boys’ Home. I have seven sisters and five brothers and almost all of us attended a small country school, along with all of the boys at the children’s home. My GIGATTAATTGIG story goes back to the mid-1960s and centers on my sister Sharla and her upcoming 8th grade graduation ceremony.

.
Sharla is one year younger than I am, so I remember this account as a freshmen in high school – soon to be a 10th grader! Sharla was told by the school that she would need a white formal dress to wear for the 8th grade graduation ceremony. All of the rest of the girls in the 8th grade class had a white formal dress – except Sharla! Mom said that we couldn’t afford to buy one, but we could sure pray. I remember us praying for Sharla to get a white graduation dress, but day after day nothing happened. Sharla prayed! She knew God would answer her prayers!

.
Two days before the school’s graduation ceremony, a big box came in the mail, addressed to Westview Boys’ Home. It was filled with second-hand jeans, shirts and even some sneakers. (Clothes and shoes were regularly marked and put in the storage room for any boy who needed them in the future.)

.
After emptying the box and marking and putting away the clothes, it was discovered that the box wasn’t quite empty! At the bottom was a brown sack with a note attached which read, “I know this is a Boys’ Home but if there is anyone who can use this, please take it.”
.
The sack was quickly opened and found enclosed was (you guessed it!) a white formal dress – just Sharla’s size! Amazing!! I am sure you can imagine the screams and the “Thank you, God” exclamations made that day!

.
As Mom and Sharla and others were in prayer believing that God would provide a white formal dress, someone else, who was listening to the Holy Spirit, was convicted to extend God's goodness via a dress to a Boys’ Home! The result ended up being much more than a young 8th grade girl getting a white formal dress for her graduation ceremony. Much more! Our entire farm family had the seed of truth planted in our hearts forever that God is involved in our everyday lives and He really does answer prayer!

.
So, my friend, my encouragement is for you to keep on believing that God has your best interests in mind – in both the informal and “formal” times! Our faith rests in the One who is always good and faithful. Plus, if God chooses to send a white formal dress to a Boys’ Home at just the right time – He can address our every need!

.
God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good!

.
.
.
PATTI'S NOTE: Sharla grew up... went to college... became a missionary... married... she and her husband Kent eventually became missionaries in Quito, Ecuador where they still minister today. Kent and Sharla have raised 3 children to adulthood, still have one at home, and one who has already gone home to be with the LORD. They all testify to God's goodness. Faith can be passed on from generation, as it was from Jack and Robbie Sikes to Sharla, then from Kent and Sharla Marcum to their children and now from their children to their grandchildren. There are many faith stories of this family that we will share from time to time on this blog. In the last few weeks there have been tragic circumstances surrounding Kent and Sharla's son, Joshua. You may connect to Joshua and Julie Marcum's ongoing faith story here: http://momstransformed.blogspot.com/2009/07/perfect-peopletrust-god.html
.

2 comments:

David Michael said...

Amen,bro!

Gary Frazier said...

At 38, I am living proof of the miracle working ability of the power of prayer.
In 1971, when meningitis was diagnosed, "in the latter stages," meaning anti-biotics wouldn't help, the doctors said I would be dead in no more than two weeks.
A 10-week coma, during which time brain surgery to implant the first of my shunts, was done.
That's not what kept me alive though.

You see a small church, full of prayer warriors, began praying, day and night.

I was deafened and, many years later, began having nerve problems in my legs, causing mobility issues.
The thing is, in 1998, I saw the doctor, who had told Mom I had no more than two weeks to live but they didn't expect me to live one week.
He was astonished to see that half-dead, 10 year old boy, was a fully-alive 37 year old man.

Yes. God is good and I give Him all the glory, honor and praise for His miracle work.
However, I also lend credence to that little church, filled with people, who wouldn't give in, when they were told I wouldn't live.

And, lest I forget, my best friend's mom told me, in 1995, that she'd never seen anyone pray the way that nine year old boy prayed.

OUR PRAYER FOR CHIP BLOECHER: FULLY HEALED! FULLY RESTORED! GIGATTAATTGIG