When Steve gets up to preach, he always begins his sermon with "God is good all the time..." and then the congregation responds with, "and all the time God is good!" These were two women who believed this wholeheartedly! I can hear them now responding to Steve. Oh, wait! That's not them I hear! They've passed on... Tanya on January 1st and Sue last week of a massive heart attack.
What we saw in Sue was God! From her effervescent smile to her advocating for students with special needs to her.... Oh, wait! I'll just let some quotes from a "sharing time" at her funeral let you get a glimpse of the goodness of God:
- "They were a family of best friends."
- "Can we emphasize the pivotal role that Jesus played in her life?"
- "She loved these songs: "Living for Jesus", "I'll Fly Away", "Great Is Thy Faithfulness", "One Step at a Time", "This is My Father's World", and "I Come to the Garden Alone".
- "She was a big part of the ministry at Park Place seniors center - often visiting the residents in their rooms who could not come out to the main room."
- "When a local high school opened opportunities for people to teach adult education classes on Tuesday evening, she was Jay's #1 supporter as he began a class on looking at the Bible."
- "Bethany, you are your mother's daughter... very smart." (Bethany was valedictorian of her high school graduating class).
- "Sue quietly sent a letter/card to Jessica Sikes each week."
- "Sue hurried to the hospital to see Ilene (a sister in Christ who is a widow) this last Saturday when she heard that Ilene had fallen and broken her back."
- "Sue handed me a bag with a tea set and tea bags and told me to use this to sit down for chats with my teenage daughter."
- "Sue did what she said she would do... she showed up at our family movie night with popcorn and drinks."
- "To many of her students Sue was known as 'Mrs. Wonderful!'"
- "Her dinner table was a sacred space!"
- "Sue's Proverbs 31 service to Jay freed him up to "be respected" in the workplace." (spoken by a co-worker)
- "When Bethany was asked what her mom's favorite scripture was, she said 'the whole book of Colossians'!"
Emphasis was made on the following scripture from Colossians. She lived it! She gave us a little picture of the characteristics of God.
12 Therefore, as God's chosen people,
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,